MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Massive Myrtle Ave. fire may have been caused by electrical short, fire officials say

Large fire breaks out at a home on Myrtle Avenue and Noble Street in South Central El Paso. (CBS4/KFOX14)

A large fire was reported at a two-story home in South Central El Paso Thursday afternoon.

It happened around 4:30 p.m. near Noble Street and Myrtle Avenue, Carlos Briano, with the El Paso Fire Department, said.

The fire started in the back of the home, possibly caused by an electrical short in an old refrigerator, Briano said.

Fire crews evacuated people living at the apartment complex behind the home as a safety precaution.

A man tells CBS4 reporter Kaylee Heck that his mother was the only person inside the home when the fire began and she made it out safely.

The woman reportedly went outside to check her electrical breakers when she saw the flames growing.

Fire crews got the flames under control just after 6 p.m.

About 18 fire units and 46 firefighters responded, according to Deputy Chief Rich Carson.

All of the top level of the home was damaged in the fire. Estimated damages are at $150, 000.

It is believed that there were no working smoke alarms inside the home.

No injuries were reported.

We will continue to update this article as more information becomes available.



Trending