House fire breaks out in Northeast El Paso Saturday morning
EL PASO, T.X. (KFOX14/CBS4) —
A house fire broke out Saturday morning on the 5700 block of Rick Husband Drive in Northeast El Paso, the city Fire Department said in a tweet.
Crews responded to the Condition 3 fire at 6:15 a.m. after a passerby reported seeing the two-story home “fully involved in flames and heavy smoke,” a spokesman said, but no one was inside the home at the time.
The Fire Department said the fire was caused by an electrical short that originated in the entryway of the home.
About 50 percent of the home was damaged, which is estimated at $80,000 worth, the spokesman said.
Nine units and 24 firefighters were able to knock down the fire by 6:45 a.m., the spokesman said.
He also mentioned, while crews were working to put out the blaze, passing motorists were running over the firefighter’ hoses, which he said is illegal and can be dangerous for the crews and residents.
The spokesman said it is safer to find alternate routes when fire crews are working.