Teens tied to Las Cruces burglary spree also broke into home, police say
LAS CRUCES, N.M. (CBS4) —
A pair of teens accused in a string of burglaries at local businesses are now accused in a residential burglary that involved a firearm, police said.
Police said a woman arrived at her home on the 2000 block of Bugatti Drive on March 8 and found the two teens inside.
The woman yelled out to the boys and they exited through the back door while carrying backpacks, police said.
The homeowner and a neighbor chased the 15-year-old down the street when the teen allegedly displayed a hand gun and fired one round into the air, police said.
The 15-year-old and the 14-year-old were seen later that day in an orange Plymouth Neon retrieving backpacks from behind the bushes near a restaurant that was a short distance away from the home.
A witness positively identified one of the teens from a photo posted on Facebook used to identify him as a suspect in a spree of burglaries last month.
The two boys were previously charged with six counts of non-residential burglary, two counts of criminal damage to property over $1,000, three counts of criminal damage to property under $1,000 and three counts of larceny for their roles in a series of burglaries at five adjoining businesses at 755 S. Telshor Boulevard.
Investigators spoke with one of them and learned that he and the other boy broke into one of the stores on the night of Feb. 12 and then, once inside, used a hammer and fire extinguisher to make entry into the adjoining businesses. Investigators also learned the two teens broke into the nearby J.C. Penney store at the Mesilla Valley Mall, where they also allegedly stole merchandise on the same night.
On Friday, the teens were additionally charged with one count each of residential burglary, conspiracy and larceny over $500 for the residential burglary. The 15-year-old was additionally charged with negligent use of a deadly weapon.