Report: Texas woman dies after contracting flesh-eating bacteria from eating raw oysters
(KEYE) -- A Texas woman's family is speaking out after she died from a flesh-eating bacteria infection she may have contracted from eating raw oysters.
According to KLFY, Jeanette LeBlanc was with friends and family back in September on the Louisiana coast when she ate about two dozen raw oysters she had bought at a local market.
About 24 hours later, LeBlanc started experiencing extreme respiratory distress. Her condition quickly worsened, and doctors diagnosed her with vibrio.
"It's a flesh-eating bacteria. She had severe wounds on her legs from that bacteria," LeBlanc's partner told KLFY.
Leblanc died 21 days later.
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention says people are at greater risk of contracting vibrio if they expose open wounds to brackish water or consume raw or under-cooked shellfish. LeBlanc had been in contact with both, KLFY reported.
"It we had known that the risk was so high, I think she would've stopped eating oysters," her partner said.
In Texas, harvesters say the public oyster season is better than anticipated despite Hurricane Harvey killing some oyster populations with heavy rains.