Chaparral fire leaves family homeless

A home in Chaparral caught fire Monday afternoon. Credit: KFOX14 / CBS4

A family in Chaparral, New Mexico found its homes in flames Monday morning.

About four hours after the fire began emergency crews were still at the scene earlier this afternoon. Investigators were unable to provide any information, but the family spoke with CBS4 Local briefly off camera.

Family members told CBS4 Local the fire broke out in their home off Luna Drive at about 7:30 a.m. They believe a heater they left on for their dog was knocked over by the pet, causing the fire.

Three children and their mother were taken to the hospital. The mother suffered some burns on her forehead but everyone is expected to recover.

The Otero County Emergency Responders has not confirmed that the heater was the cause of the fire.

Remember to keep at least a 3-foot perimeter around your heater and any flammable objects and, of course, never leave your heater unattended.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off